Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

Rarebit Copper Edition - Now Available

Featuring copper metallic ink and a breathtaking, copper foil tuck case.More Details

Making flourishing tutorials You are now viewing the Making flourishing tutorials thread.
  1. #1 February 18th, 2008

Default Making flourishing tutorials

If you have created a flourish yourself, would it be wrong to make a tutorial on it, if it involves concepts already taught by someone else? eg DL or sybil etc?

2. #2 February 18th, 2008

I'd say as long as it's not a copyrighted move then it'd be ethically OK. In my eyes, anyway.

3. #3 February 18th, 2008

i don't think that you can copyright a move.... si it's not against the law to teach it...

4. #4 February 18th, 2008

honestly, most tutorials made by n00bs suck really bad, like "oh my god I figured out a way to make a sybil cut with an extra packet, I named it Synergistic Teletubbie HotPocket"

why don't you instead, make a video with a whole bunch of your awesome, mildly original material, and then if any moves actually stick out as having that "WOW" factor, lots of people will comment on it, and THEN you might want to consider making a tutorial for it.

5. #5 February 18th, 2008

Default It wouldn't be wrong if...

It wouldn't be wrong if they're not the EXACT same moves. Like if you created a cut of some sort and you started with a sybil and then did your own moves for the rest of the cut, that'd be okay. but like you can't teach someone else's cuts or flourishes that they came up with; at least not without their permission.
    And im sure it would be ok to teach like card springing and like a thumb fan tutorial.

6. #6 February 18th, 2008

In Pandora, Dan and Dave teach their own parts of the cut, then when it comes to Tornado, etc, they don't go indepth into it, by simply demonstrating how it fits into the cut. They added something like "Execute Tornado by Ashford Kneitel" or something along those lines.

Perhaps that would be a good guide to follow?

7. #7 February 19th, 2008

yea, telling how to do someone elses cut is wrong. Saying to do someone elses cut is right. ^^.

8. #8 February 19th, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanf View Post
    honestly, most tutorials made by n00bs suck really bad, like "oh my god I figured out a way to make a sybil cut with an extra packet, I named it Synergistic Teletubbie HotPocket"

why don't you instead, make a video with a whole bunch of your awesome, mildly original material, and then if any moves actually stick out as having that "WOW" factor, lots of people will comment on it, and THEN you might want to consider making a tutorial for it.
    I agree %100

Goodday,
    Brian

"Your world is a deck of cards. You are its Ambitious Card... Rise to the top".
    BrianKilledYou
    "The past is but the beginning of a beginning and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn". - H.G. Wells
    BrianKilledYou
    "The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step..."
    BrianKilledYou
    "For the 51st time! Thats not my card!!!"
  9. #9 February 19th, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanf View Post
    Synergistic Teletubbie HotPocket
    Could be the best name I ever heard

10. #10 February 19th, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
    Could be the best name I ever heard
    Not as good as Saddarmspread Hussein.

Anyway, if it uses, say, five faces of sybil, then just say 'execute five faces f sybil and teach the rest. You can learn anything (almost) from jut a performance video alone, so just showing the cut in regular speed is ethically right (or so I believe). A great example is David Blanch's Baby leno Tut in MW part 3. I suggest you check it out.