Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

TYCOON Luxury Playing Cards

Produced in collaboration with Steve Cohen at the prestigious Waldorf Astoria Hotel.More Details

Genesis V1 vs Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes? You are now viewing the Genesis V1 vs Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes? thread.
  1. #1 January 12th, 2014

Default Genesis V1 vs Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes?

agic,Let's assume I know absolutely NOTHING about cardistry (not that far off, to be honest.), which would take me the furthest?

Everyone typically asks this on these forums- so what I want to be able to do once all is said and done is make my own original concepts and hopefully entire cuts, rather than perform ones that others create. I don't do card magic, but sleight of hand flourishes would be awesome to learn.

Any response appreciated, this community has turned out to be pretty awesome

2. #2 January 12th, 2014

Having owned neither this isnt very reliable so dont base your whole decision on this but i know genesis v1 teaches you the roots but the encyclopedia teaches all the awesome moves that from what i know are harder, cooler, weirder and more creative but not for beginners, so if you dont know anything id say genesis then once you got a good grip on the basics then go for the encyclopedia hope that helped

The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty is the moment you are an artist-David Cockney
  3. #3 January 12th, 2014

My goal with Genesis was to appeal to those who want to start with a solid foundation of cardistry, a single resource that would keep you busy for years. I feel between the 2 Genesis series, there's enough DIVERSE content to get you not only started, but if the desire is there, to pursue it in a more creative/original capacity. I think the Encyclopedia will help in that direction as well, though in my opinion not quite as quickly and efficiently.

I think the Encyclopedia is a tremendous resource that one must definitely own in the long run; however, from personal experience, I've always got more mileage out of content that I could see in motion. That visual content is what often times inspired me as a kid and gave me new ideas on how I could spin those moves - pun intended ha. Although the Encyclopedia has a TON of pictures that gives you a general idea, it's not quite the same. Obviously comes down to preference.

On the flip side, the Encyclopedia contains so much material it's absolutely mind boggling. Both are solid foundation builders with unique strengths and weaknesses. Either way, you can't go wrong. Let me know if anything!

// andrei jikh
    vp of production / theory11
  4. #4 January 13th, 2014

Thanks for the response, Andrei! It was actually super surreal seeing the dude who made Genesis V1 respond, so thank you so much for that. I'm picking up Genesis V1 with a few decks tonight.

I did a lot of research on both, and although there isn't the mountain of content in Genesis, it's a lot more friendly... The book definitely assumes you have some sort of background, which although I have a basic understanding of a few cuts I doubt would get me far.

Anyways, thanks for the input again. This is my first purchase for anything related to magic/cardistry so I'm rather excited.

Take care.

5. #5 January 14th, 2014

Just the card twirls are hours upon hours of fun. You'll enjoy Genesis .

6. #6 January 15th, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by IgnisCyan View Post
    Thanks for the response, Andrei! It was actually super surreal seeing the dude who made Genesis V1 respond, so thank you so much for that. I'm picking up Genesis V1 with a few decks tonight.

I did a lot of research on both, and although there isn't the mountain of content in Genesis, it's a lot more friendly... The book definitely assumes you have some sort of background, which although I have a basic understanding of a few cuts I doubt would get me far.

Anyways, thanks for the input again. This is my first purchase for anything related to magic/cardistry so I'm rather excited.

Take care.
    Awesome, let me know if you need help with anything!

// andrei jikh
  7. #7 January 15th, 2014

Thank you for posting this I was thinking about getting this but was skeptical, now I am positive I will get this as soon as i get enough money. Then I will practice and get blisters on my hand then I will practice some more and get more blisters then I will buy Genesis v2.

8. #8 January 18th, 2014

Just wanted to give one last update before I let this post rest,

Got Genesis V1 and don't regret my decision at all. Honestly, this is the fastest I've ever learned anything cardistry related and even the simplest of cuts are starting to look cooler and cooler as I practice them more.

Thank for the help again, everyone!

9. #9 January 21st, 2014

Awesome, I'm around the forums 24/7 so if you need any help, let me know! If you've been doing some of the classics for a while, hopefully the new take on "style" will add new life into those moves!

// andrei jikh
  10. #10 January 24th, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Awesome, I'm around the forums 24/7 so if you need any help, let me know! If you've been doing some of the classics for a while, hopefully the new take on "style" will add new life into those moves!
    We were discussing the thumb cut from Genesis and some finer points to conquer it. I learned that you have to open the hand a bit to let the clipped packet close, but I'm still having problems with the clipped packet sticking under the top packet sometimes when I use the whole deck. Do you have any pro tips on that one?