Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

TYCOON Luxury Playing Cards

Produced in collaboration with Steve Cohen at the prestigious Waldorf Astoria Hotel.More Details

Never doing magic again. You are now viewing the Never doing magic again. thread.
  1. #1 July 28th, 2013

Unhappy Never doing magic again.

So I'm in love with magic, I would perform everyday. Except 10 minutes ago I got caught. I was doing filter by Rick lax, and 2 people caught me, at a 7 people table.and she revealed it, they didn't believe it. So I did another method and she thought ok never mind. But my sister next to me saw it and only whispered to me what happened. I love doing magic but i don't want to get caught and I'm so scared of getting caught I just shake before I perform. And after what happened I don't think I'm doing magic ever again. Also they ask for the impossible like show is this before you do this.

2. #2 July 28th, 2013

Even monkeys fall out of trees, dude. You get caught now and again. It happens. Just comes with the territory. You're really making a bigger deal of this than it needs to be.

That is not dead, which can eternal lie
    And with strange eons, even death may die

Witching Hour Productions
    The Pitt and the Pendulum
  3. #3 July 28th, 2013

Before you perform, I would practice. Practice A LOT. In front of a mirror, or even with a camera placed at odd angles so you can be sure you have the trick down. Also, I'd learn some of those 'impossible' tricks just to quiet down yiur audience. Don't quit because of one bad performance. Just keep practicing and don't let anyone see you practicing, because you may mess up and your family will see your methods. I also messed up on the first ever performance of a trick I designed. I got lazy and held the cards so that they could see EVERYTHING. ugh. Haha but I laughed it off and practiced as I walked home.

Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect.
    Winner SNC Theory 11 Live 8/11/13
  4. #4 July 28th, 2013

I could tell you that situation was an anomaly - that it will never happen again. But honestly, that wouldn't be true. The reality is that situations like that are part of the action, and the nature of the beast. With magic, and entertainment by any means, there will always be a certain subsect of people that aren't interested, aren't enthusiastic, or otherwise just aren't a good audience.

It happens, and it will happen again. Whether you're John Smith or David Copperfield, even the best performance will result in some people NOT liking it. Simply put, you can't please everybody. Even the best Hollywood movies - with flawless critical reviews and 98% on Rotten Tomatoes - will result in some people leaving the movie theater saying "that sucked - I hated it!"

But here's the good news: that's okay! It's okay not to please everybody. It's okay that some people may not like your performance, your routine, or even your whole show. It's okay that some of your performances get better reactions than others. Your goal as a performer, and as a human being in general, is to please as many people as possible - and make people happy. But the reality is that goal - 100% success rate - is unattainable. David Copperfield makes a car appear on stage five feet away from the audience's face, and while 99.9% of the audience is SHOCKED in complete astonishment, there are a small minority of people, every night, that don't react at all.

Why? It could be a number of factors. With yourself, with Copperfield, or with any great movie, many things can affect how we respond to different situations. If I'm in a bad mood, or I'm exhausted, my response to a magic trick isn't going to be that spectacular, either. If I'm stressed out, or I'm thinking about something else, I'm likely predisposed NOT to be a good audience of any sort at that particular moment. Instead of entering the performance as a neutral observer, I would be entering the performance already at a negative, like -15% happiness level - so the performer would have to move the needle 15% just to get me to zero.

That is not to say that we, as performers, can't do something about it. After any performance, it's good to reflect and think about what you could have, perhaps, done differently or better. Copperfield watches every single show on his iPad when testing new illusions - we can always improve. We can always do better. In this case, what could you have done differently that may have affected the outcome? Perhaps nothing, but the answer may also be involving all of the audience more, so those two "tough spectators" were engaged and more on your side. It could be learning and thinking about what they did see; what may have tipped the method to them? What could you as a performer do to prevent that next time?

All of these things are food for thought, and good things to keep in mind. But NONE of these things should stop you from performing more, and more often. Use this experience as fuel to inspire you to do better - to learn from this situation and turn a negative into a positive. In the process, with each performance, you'll find yourself getting better and better. Your confidence level will rise. You will speak more eloquently. You will no longer be overcome with nerves. And most importantly, you'll begin having more and more fun. In the end, that's what it's all about. If you're having fun, your audience will too.

// jonathan.bayme
    ceo / theory11
  5. #5 July 28th, 2013

Thanks guys guess I will be practicing all summer long ! Thank you!

6. #6 July 29th, 2013

When I get caught or someone knows the trick and knows how to do it already, I do tense up and get really nervous because I feel that the person or people I am performing to thinks i am a bad magician. I also know that this is all in my head and in reality they don't think that way. But I just move on. If you mess up, then you mess up. Move on. Learn from your mistakes.

7. #7 July 29th, 2013

There are only two types of magicians who have never bombed. Those who have not performed enough to bomb in front of an audience, and liars.

Everyone who performs regularly has a bad performance sometimes. It happens. Pick yourself up, dust off your ego, learn from the experience. I think in my case, bombing is actually what drove me to become good at what I do. I thought it was super easy to do magic, I failed hard core, I said to myself, "Well *bleep*, guess I have to work harder at this. What went wrong here?"

Don't let yourself get hung up on your mistakes. There's no benefit to that. Learn from them and let them go. Take every performance and see what you did wrong and what you did right. Do what you did right more, and do what you did wrong less. This is a continual process that everyone has to do in order to gain any real skill.

I know I'm just saying what they've already said in different words, but sometimes it helps to hear a bunch of people say something.

We've all bombed. We will all bomb again. It's just not that big a deal.

Practice, rehearse, practice more, rehearse more. Make sure you can do every move without thinking, make sure you engage your audience and interest them before you even start with the magic.

Good luck.

Reason: Forum glitch
    -Christopher
  8. #8 July 29th, 2013

I can relate! This happens in cardistry probably more than anything. I've been doing this for 11+ years and I still get rotten days where my hands are rubber. I've had days where I would drop cards on the simplest of flourishes, ones I've been doing nearly a decade. There have also been days where no matter how great I thought I did my routines, people haven't reacted or said much at all or even worse, asked me to do magic! *gasp* Just kidding, that's never happened - but seriously...

Do I let that get to me? Sometimes. We're human beings, not robots, we'll always react to those kinds of moments. Inevitably we'll all come across those kinds of days but that's a good thing. Mistakes are experiences and experiences teach us to be better. Learn from it, take a step to the side, and keep climbing that mountain - one step at a time.

PS: When I drop cards, some people become shocked "Oh no! I can't believe he dropped a card" - so I just make a joke out of it, or better - a flourish to recover. I think the same applies to magic. Don't make it a big deal, and no one else will either. Have fun with it. Don't take yourself too seriously and you'll find the audience will more often be on your side.

// andrei jikh
    vp of production / theory11
  9. #9 July 29th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Don't make it a big deal, and no one else will either. Have fun with it. Don't take yourself too seriously and you'll find the audience will more often be on your side.
    Quoted for emphasis and truth.

-Christopher
  10. #10 July 29th, 2013

that is the spirit.... best wishes