Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

TYCOON Luxury Playing Cards

Produced in collaboration with Steve Cohen at the prestigious Waldorf Astoria Hotel.More Details

Collins Key on AGT :: Any comments? You are now viewing the Collins Key on AGT :: Any comments? thread.
  1. #1 July 19th, 2013

Default Collins Key on AGT :: Any comments?

Hey guys,

So if you guys have been watching America's got Talent then you would know that a teenage magician Collins Key has been performing magic and is getting pretty far into the show. Do you guys have any thoughts on his performances?

Good magic is simple and visual.
    "You know you're a good performer when they remember YOU and not just your magic!"
    Watch and Subcribe to my channel! Youtube Channel: ArmanMagician
    Saturday Night Contest Winner: Rearranging the Code
  2. #2 July 19th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ArmanMagic View Post
    Hey guys,

So if you guys have been watching America's got Talent then you would know that a teenage magician Collins Key has been performing magic and is getting pretty far into the show. Do you guys have any thoughts on his performances?
    His effects are decent, but I started to dislike him a bit once he said during his Vegas performance that he wanted to be a 'teen heartthrob of magic'...give me a break. I still hope he goes through all the way, since I'm always rooting for a fellow magician, but that teen heartthrob comment he said made me roll my eyes and think less of his true goals.

3. #3 July 19th, 2013

I agree with what your saying about the teen heartthrob thing. I'm surprised how far he's gone with the small effects that he's performing.

"You know you're a good performer when they remember YOU and not just your magic!"
  4. #4 July 19th, 2013

Also agree with the "teen heartthrob thing".

He needs to step it up for the live NYC show. Big stage, big audience. He needs to find a way to connect with not only the live audience, but the people at home. I don't think he's trained in any kind of stage magic so it'll be interesting to see the presentation he uses for whatever he's going to do. It seems like he'll have to go the mentalism route again because that's the best way to fool the audience, judges, and camera when you don't have a big stage act.

Philly Magic
  5. #5 July 24th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinTan View Post
    It seems like he'll have to go the mentalism route again because that's the best way to fool the audience, judges, and camera when you don't have a big stage act.
    It's also a good way to crash and burn if you don't know what you're doing. Mentalism is much more difficult to pull off, especially when you're not even old enough to buy booze.

This is one of many reasons I don't like reality TV and these contests in particular. I can guarantee you that virtually no one who appears on it has the slightest idea of how to manage yourself as a business, think like an entrepreneur or market your work. It's more than just a hanging a shingle up and waiting to be flooded with money and accolades.

That is not dead, which can eternal lie
    And with strange eons, even death may die

Witching Hour Productions
    The Pitt and the Pendulum
  6. #6 July 24th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    It's also a good way to crash and burn if you don't know what you're doing. Mentalism is much more difficult to pull off, especially when you're not even old enough to buy booze.

This is one of many reasons I don't like reality TV and these contests in particular. I can guarantee you that virtually no one who appears on it has the slightest idea of how to manage yourself as a business, think like an entrepreneur or market your work. It's more than just a hanging a shingle up and waiting to be flooded with money and accolades.
    He did perform a mentalism routine. He did something similar to what Justin Willman performed on the Ellen show. You can obviously tell from the performance, he's having fun with it. Slightly cocky, but having fun.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=qO1bi0pMlCk

7. #7 July 24th, 2013

That was a magician's presentation of a mental effect, not pure mentalism. And for God's sake, someone tell him to stop mumbling between lines.

8. #8 July 24th, 2013

That was a magician's presentation of a mental effect, not pure mentalism. And for God's sake, someone tell him to stop mumbling between lines.
    "That's a swagalicious body part" - This was just as bad as the teenage heart throb comment. It actually made me dislike his presentation even more. It's clear he's trying to be "cool" by making these comments, but right now it's putting the presentation off. He'd probably be better off being himself and less arrogant in his presentation. It's important to be confidant, but the way his character is portrayed, the arrogant nature of his presentation doesn't fit him.

Anyway, I do like how he modernized the Master Prediction System by Malloy Modern Magic with the whole twitter hashtag presentation. Kudos to him for choosing this to get him to the next round, however I don't see him able to top this. He probably could have done a less impressive trick (judging from the competition he was up against that night) and gotten through.

I'm rooting for him anyway. It must be tough on him, especially since he's primary a close-up magician, forced to perform stage magic. What's next? Perhaps the bill in egg/lemon/orange. I can see that working for him in terms of the wow factor as a step up from what he's done so far. Ir just needs to be presented right.

Philly Magic
  9. #9 July 24th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinTan View Post
    "That's a swagalicious body part" - This was just as bad as the teenage heart throb comment.
    If I could have one word stricken from the English language, "swag" would be pretty high on the list of candidates.

It actually made me dislike his presentation even more. It's clear he's trying to be "cool" by making these comments, but right now it's putting the presentation off. He'd probably be better off being himself and less arrogant in his presentation. It's important to be confidant, but the way his character is portrayed, the arrogant nature of his presentation doesn't fit him.
    It's clear he's not very comfortable in his own skin. On the other hand, social awkwardness doesn't hold a candle to how obnoxious it is to watch forced coolness.

10. #10 July 24th, 2013

It's clear he's not very comfortable in his own skin. On the other hand, social awkwardness doesn't hold a candle to how obnoxious it is to watch forced coolness.
    Yeah, but Kyle Eschen already has the 'awkward teenage magician' thing and he does it better than anyone else I've seen try it.

I can't stand AGT and never watch it so I have no idea about these performances. But it sounds like they're doing to him what they've done to every other magician who's made it any distance. Letting him get a bit into the show so they can say they're giving magicians a fair chance, too, only to axe him when he gets anywhere serious to allow the next singer or dance crew to move up. AGT is about creating a show and as far as I can tell they just can't figure out what to do with a magician.

-Christopher