Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

THE MYSTERY BOX

Presented by J.J. Abrams, Bad Robot, 826 National, and theory11. What's inside the box?More Details

The perfect routine You are now viewing the The perfect routine thread.
  1. #1 May 5th, 2013

Default The perfect routine

I've often asked myself what the "perfect routine" is and I think it's a question that changes by circumstance. For example, someone's mentalism routine would be different to their card magic routine. I'd like theory11 forum members to post what they think is the best routine for a certain type of magic. At the top please write what type of magic your posting about (just five tricks please). Here's my personal opinion: (There aren't necessarily the best tricks just ones that flow together well.

Card magic routine:

Victoria (Zach Mueller is a genius)
    Smash (Hugo Luccioni)
    Regeneration (Blake Vogt)
    Marbles (Once again Zach Mueller is a genius)
    Distortion (Wayne Houchin)

or alternatively...

Mentalism routine

Fate (Geriant Clarke)
    Psycho (Spidey is awesome)
    Out of my mind (Spidey is awesome)
    Sneak peak (Spidey is awesome)
    Celebrity match (I hope you've already realised, Spidey is awesome!)

Go on, get posting!

2. #2 May 5th, 2013

LOL wow, thanks so much for including me in 4 of your 5 favourite routines I hope that my upcoming stuff extend your list to a top 10 !!!

3. #3 May 6th, 2013

I have confidence it will. You got me into mentalism, so for that I thank you.

4. #4 May 6th, 2013

Here's what I often use for street magic. It's great for walking up to random strangers and blowing their minds.

Pressure
    The Invisible Deck
    Two Card Monte
    Ambitious Card Routine
    Dresscode (Providing you're wearing it that is.)

That's my favourite Street magic routine.

5. #5 May 6th, 2013

OOTW, so many variations for different situations.

6. #6 May 6th, 2013

A routine is not a list of tricks you perform in the order you perform them, being tied together by the common theme of here is some stuff I bought at a magic shop that I can do and you can't.

A routine is a number of effects tied together with a common theme and presentation. I see no reference to how you present the listed tricks, so they are not routines. Oh, and if your response is "I present them the way they were taught" you need to answer the ever present question of "why should the audience care?"

~David
    Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
  7. #7 May 6th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RealityOne View Post
    A routine is not a list of tricks you perform in the order you perform them, being tied together by the common theme of here is some stuff I bought at a magic shop that I can do and you can't.

A routine is a number of effects tied together with a common theme and presentation. I see no reference to how you present the listed tricks, so they are not routines. Oh, and if your response is "I present them the way they were taught" you need to answer the ever present question of "why should the audience care?"
    I basically agree to R1.
    A routine is now a list of tricks. It is a continuation of one trick to the other through the same presentation.
    It is what differs your performance from other's.

My routine?
    I start by introducing the subject of "Instinct" to the audiences. Saying that "Instinct" is a rare phenomena when the brain (logic) and the heart (feeling/psychological) agreed on one solution or answer. I go on with my own variation and interpretation of Spidey's Psycho, and ended up at Oil and Water using cards ( some people prefer by the term "Red and Black" ).
    I use NO MORE than 3 set of tricks per group or audience, since in my opinion, longer than 3 tricks and the audience will lose interest eventually.

That is all.
    -LYE

BeLIEve me SINCERELY. Just do.
  8. #8 May 6th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RealityOne View Post

Perhaps I should have phrased it better: What tricks do you combine to make up a certain routine? I hope this helps you answer the question.

9. #9 May 6th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jamming View Post
    Perhaps I should have phrased it better: What tricks do you combine to make up a certain routine? I hope this helps you answer the question.
    How do you present those effects is a better question.

~David
    Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
  10. #10 May 6th, 2013

There really is no such thing as the "perfect" routine. Every routine as it's flaws. It's really all down to your own personal style and what works for you.

Inertia is a property of matter.