Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

THE MYSTERY BOX

Presented by J.J. Abrams, Bad Robot, 826 National, and theory11. What's inside the box?More Details

Saturday Night Contest - Inside The Magic Box You are now viewing the Saturday Night Contest - Inside The Magic Box thread.
  1. #1 April 27th, 2013

Lightbulb Saturday Night Contest - Inside The Magic Box

Hey everyone!

This past week, R. Paul Wilson posted a phenomenal short film called "The Magic Box." If you missed it, watch it here - it's outstanding. The film tells the story of a grandfather, his grandson, and a simple magic box. It's a moving story, and it shows how magic can be an important part of our lives - and generations to come.

After watching this, I thought a lot about how I started in magic. The first magic show I saw - I was 5 years old, and David Copperfield was performing at a huge theater in my home town. I was hooked. Fast forward a few years, and I happened to meet Chris Kenner at 13 - and all of this started with that.

Tonight, we want to hear YOUR story. Share with us how you got started in magic or cardistry. It can be one sentence, it can be one page - whatever you want. There's no minimum length. Tell us how you discovered the art - and what inspired you to be a part of it.

The winner tonight will be chosen at random from all valid entries. You have until 11:00pm EST tonight to post your story in response to this forum thread. Limit one post per member.

Tonight’s winner will receive 1,000 Elite Member Points, a six pack of Artisan playing cards, and a surprise we can't tell you about yet (you'll love it, trust me), shipped on the house.

Good luck! And now, tell us how it all began...

Note: This contest is now complete (see results here), but we'd love to continue hearing your stories!

// jonathan.bayme
    ceo / theory11
  2. #2 April 27th, 2013

For me it all started when I was around 7 when my dad showed me some coin tricks. I only remember two effects but at the time I was astonished. My father wasn't a magician but got inspired watching show like David Blaine and felt compelled to do some coin tricks since they were so simplistic yet powerful. A few years passed and tragedy sprouted its vines around the edge of joy. My father was diagnosed with liver cancer and passed away when I was 9. Being the most painful moment in my life I forgot about the astonishment magic brought as I struggled to find my true self and personality. Time had passed and I was shown a video of Criss Angel doing a trick with fruit in a grocery store where he smashed a lemon and egg inside a grapefruit and opened up the grapefruit and found the lemon and opened the lemon and found the egg and cracked the egg and found the bird. I was amazed and later that day searched him up and found some ravishing and amazing videos that compelled me to decide I wanted to do things like that and be a magician. It's been 5 years since then and I've grown. Thanks too magic I developed my originality and still am. I have widened my knowledge and study all forms of deception or at least want to. Thanks too magic mixed with my goals I have learned about people and know how to be social. I am introverted but I know how to speak. My goals are to lead the broken and the lost to light and show the world what love and faith is. Magic too me only exists when one believes and can inspire the flames of hope and will in others. What I do with cards and coins and mentalist is all trickery but what I do with the hearts of those hurting and in need those who are oppressed for not conforming is true magic for there is no greater love than for a man to lay down his life for his friends and all those hurt, outcasted, neglected or misunderstood are my friends and family. This is magic to me this is what I've become. I am Kirkland butcher.

3. #3 April 27th, 2013

Default My Introduction into Magic

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site, but thought this would be a pretty good way to het started! Here is my beginning into magic. It's a bit odd, but hopefully will be of interest to some, and maybe others can relate.

It all started in June of last year. I was 19 years old at the time. Probably a bit later than most people start, I assume. My girlfriend at the time (now ex-girlfriend) had just gotten back from a vacation to Vegas. My souvenir from her was a deck of cards from the Luxor, the first ever deck of cards I had received. This sparked my thoughts; I could perform a magic trick with the deck she bought me, to impress her! I put in hours of work, learning how to force a card (the Queen of Hearts, romantic?) and how to have her card the only face down card in the deck. Simple, yes, but I was hoping it would wow her none the less.

The day finally came to show her my trick. I was nervous, but was able to pull off the effect successfully. And, well, to put it simply, she completely hated it. She thought it was boring and really silly. I was devastated.

But, from that day on, I used that as my motivation to keep going. I've been practicing for over a year now, getting better each day. I'm not the greatest, but I love what I do, and so does my current girlfriend and my entire family. Performing for people and seeing their reactions is such an amazing feeling. And, so far, no more disapproval of any of my tricks. If it wasn't for my ex however though, I never would have gotten started, and I never would have had the motivation to be as good as I can be!

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to hearing how some others got started as well!

4. #4 April 27th, 2013

My senior year of highschool we went on a band trip to Gatlinburg TN. While the lower band was performing, the upper band got to walk around the city. I spent my entire time in this magic shop that I had found. I was blown away by the reactions people were giving to the magicians demoing effects. I decided to purchase a pen through dollar and some spongeballs. However the thing that got me hooked was when I asked the magician ringing me up for his business card. He produced one seemingly from nowhere and handed it to me. At the time I didn't know what a back palm was so I was blown away by this impromptu piece of magic he did for me. For the next several months I tried to figure out where he hid that card, until one day I figured it out, and joined the magic community.

5. #5 April 27th, 2013

When I was 10 years old I was watching every episode of David Copperfield then when I was 13 I watched Criss Angel's show (Mind Freak) I thought they sold their souls to the Devil so I made a research about them and magic I found that all the things they did were just tricks and every one can do it so I began to learn some tricks and I practiced well to become the magician how I'm now and the thank to Theory11 Team for giving us the opportunity to learn from them ,share magic with us and leading us to the right way to success and I want to say that Theory11 Team have never letting us down

6. #6 April 27th, 2013

I got started recently when a friend showed me a trick with the invisible deck. When he showed me, I was stunned, shocked. I couldn’t believe it. So I went home and googled it and discovered the trick. This led me to wanting to perform magic, getting great reactions from people and making them happy. That’s how this obsession started.

7. #7 April 27th, 2013

Well for me it all started when my uncle showed me the finger separation trick and I always wanted to know how it was done. I kinda gave up and didn't pick it up till I was 10. I wanted to be a clown at my church festival so I learned a card trick and a coin trick and I started from there. What really kept me into it was seeing an ad for the Criss angel magic kit on tv and I ordered it immediately. And from then on I was hooked. I've been to about 8 shows and been to 2 conventions. I've met some amazing magicians such as Justin Flom, Dani DaOrtiz, Justin willman, Joshua Jay, etc. magic is not just a job or hobby for me, it's a lifestyle that I will never give up.

8. #8 April 27th, 2013

The first time I saw a magic trick was when my uncle showed me two tricks. I was like maybe 7 or 8 at the time, but I was so amazed that I had to know how he did it(like any 5 year old). He showed me one trick(the other he kept for himself making me very upset ) which I wanted to show my colleagues, but my teacher took my deck, put it in a drawer and then the deck disappeared (after the class cleaning).

9. #9 April 27th, 2013

Unfortunately one of my moms ex-partners was the person who got me into the art. We didnt get along and he drank to much. However he used to do some basic tricks with thumb tips, making a lit cigarette disappear, mustve hurt thinking about it. He also taught me how to do a one handed cut I later learnt over 10 years later that it was a charlier cut. This isnt a positive way to get into the art but its how I got into the art. For those few minutes he was doing magic we got on and magic was the reason for that. The fact that someone who I see is a negative person in my life got me into something positive (in this case magic) well, doesnt make sense. But thats what magic does.

Reason: missed out a word that was important
  10. #10 April 27th, 2013

I was 6 years old when I had that feeling, that feeling you only ever truly get once. That feeling of amazement, confusion and utter awe. I was at a party when a magician vanished a card right in front of my eyes. It was amazing, it felt like pure magic. He went on to vanish a whole deck showing the fronts and backs of his hands. I followed him for the rest of the evening and pretty much ended up being his assistant! He would do a trick where he made the spectators ring vanish, he would then past it to me while I was standing behind him and then reveal I had it! I felt proud of myself, even though I hadn't done anything I loved the feeling of entertaining someone and giving them the same feeling I had at the start of the party. The magician taught me how to back palm a card and I just kept practising from then on. Today I am still practising and learning new things every day. To this day I have never seen that magician again and I don't know who it was but I guess that is also I part of magic, the whole mystery of it all! I hope that one day, I too will be able to give a child the same feeling I had when I was 6 and then maybe he can go on to become a great magician and continue a never ending cycle of pure amazement.

Thank you.