Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

TYCOON Luxury Playing Cards

Produced in collaboration with Steve Cohen at the prestigious Waldorf Astoria Hotel.More Details

Out of My Mind by Spidey You are now viewing the Out of My Mind by Spidey thread.
  1. #1 April 6th, 2013

Default Out of My Mind by Spidey

Out of My Mind by Spidey - Review

Effect: A spectator cuts the cards in half and then shuffles the two halves together, the performer then deals two piles of ten, the spectator chooses which packet of ten they want, the spectator before dealing cards is told a color before dealing each card to reveal that the performer is 100% correct and then as a killer ending you name the last card suite, color, and the exact identity.

Price: $6.95

Teaching: Spidey's instruction is very easy to follow, and I love the way he teaches his effects he goes over everything a few times, which makes for perfect teaching.

Difficulty: Easy - This effect is so easy and basically self working the set-up takes 20 seconds if the deck is borrowed and if new deck order then 10 seconds tops.

Application: This method makes for endless possibilities and i'm 100% sure that this has other applications using this principle.

What do spectators think?

This effect baffles spectators, I have already performed it a handful of times and there is no way a spectator will find out this method, it's ingenious, and amazing. The ending kils the spectator, but the idea that they are in control is the best part.

Pricing and worthiness?
    At $6.95 this is a complete steal so simple and so powerful if you like the idea of hard hitting magic including a spectator shuffle and them cutting the cards it seems as if the spectator is in control. This makes for the best kind of magic

This effect has a diabolical plot and a storyline that goes just perfect with the effect, the release of the actual method comes straight out of The Linking Ring Magazine in July of 1958. My personal opinion of this trick is that it takes around 10 seconds to set up from a new deck order (this is the way I present the effect) and around 30-40 seconds top with a borrowed deck. Out of my mind is an impromptu miracle which is simple to master, and overall a simple but strong effect I believe what makes this effect even better is the story telling. If you have ever seen Michael Vincent perform a lot of his story telling revolves around intuitive insight and the ability to cut exactly to the cards he wants but in this case I say with intuitive insight I can tell exactly what cards are what color (A great spinoff from the way Spidey presents this).

2. #2 April 9th, 2013

I saw this... And Im confused. I cannot for the life of me not see what is original with this. What warrants this release other padding out spideys wallet with some easy cash from people who have never experimented with the Gilbreath principle? I've seen this version done exactly like this numerous times already. Isn't it enough already? Do we really need another re-release? Don't get me wrong this is very clever stuff. But in my mind if you haven't added anything, then why put it out. In my mind this is more or less just theft.

Think im gonna open up my royal road to card magic, and put together some one-effect downloads :P

3. #3 April 9th, 2013

I agree but then again i have to disagree it may not be the most original thing out there but then agIn it was first published in 1958 and not many magicians have had the priviledge to learn about the gilbreath principle. It has many other applications, but just because you know how the effect is done doesn't mean that others do as well. You made some very valid points and i respect them but i think that this was published due to it being released in 1958 and magic at it's peak at this day and age. I love royal road to card magic it's what i started with and what I refer to. Thanks for the response!

4. #4 April 9th, 2013

It was first Published then, since then there have been numerous versions, including this exact way of doing it. And I agree that it's nice to remind people of how great this principle really is. But I don't think that justifies just re-releasing it. I think for example that card warp is a great trick, but that can't justify me putting it out again with my name on it, without having altered it in any way.

5. #5 April 10th, 2013

Hi D, the history behind this effect is stated clearly before and after the video, with crediting assisted by Jason England and Max Maven. Of course, Spidey does not claim credit for the core technique behind Out of My Mind, published in 1958. Over the past half-century, there have been HUNDREDS of effects in manuscripts, journals, and magazines using this principle, and this is stated and credited appropriately within the video.

OOMM was created independently by Spidey as his personal favorite application of that principle. With regard to why Spidey - he is a remarkably talented, experienced performer who is abundantly qualified to offer instruction on both his original techniques, and the classic fundamentals that form the field of mentalism. With credit given where credit is due. And it is.

// jonathan.bayme
    ceo / theory11
  6. #6 April 10th, 2013

ii3randonmagic, thank you! So happy you liked the video and loved the effect. This one is powerful - use it carefully!

// jonathan.bayme
    ceo / theory11
  7. #7 April 10th, 2013

I bought Out of My Mind several days ago and I love it! Though I did have one question for Spidey. You say that this trick can be used with a borrowed deck, but I didn't really understand how you are to set it up that quickly. I understand if its a brand new deck, you can use the Farrow, but if its used, how would you do this without making it completely obvious? Thanks!

8. #8 April 11th, 2013

Hi again...
    I'm sure it's well taught, and credited. My issue is the originality. There's nothing original here as far as I can tell.
    That's the issue... Like the example I made with Walton's Card Warp, I can't just release that with my name on it and credit to Roy Walton. I haven't added anything. That's where my issue lies.

Sincerely,
    Daniel

9. #9 April 11th, 2013

When setting this up you don't have to make it a big ordeal ask to borrow the deck up-jog all of the red or black cards. Proceed to faro then or riffle.

10. #10 April 11th, 2013

Daniel: please specify WHERE this is published. I would love to see it thanks!

D_Young: what Brandon said is correct, no big deal then farrow and cut. We are filming an extra clip showing how to get into this from a borrowed deck. More on this soon !