Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

THE MYSTERY BOX

Presented by J.J. Abrams, Bad Robot, 826 National, and theory11. What's inside the box?More Details

Saturday Night Contest - Fool Us + Mathieu Bich You are now viewing the Saturday Night Contest - Fool Us + Mathieu Bich thread.
  1. #1 November 24th, 2012

Lightbulb Saturday Night Contest - Fool Us + Mathieu Bich

Yesterday morning, we released an amazing new effect from Mathieu Bich: EDGE. As you glide your finger over the edge of the deck, the spectator's selected card appears written in permanent ink along the side. Mathieu Bich created the effect in July of 2000, and he's been improving and perfecting it ever since. It's simple, powerful, and has limitless applications. You can write whatever you want to reveal - any word in any language. And it's almost entirely self working.

In June of 2011, Mathieu Bich appeared on Penn and Teller's television show "Fool Us" in the UK, where he successfully fooled the judges with a brilliant effect. Tonight, in celebration of the release of Edge, your challenge is to FOOL US.

Specifically, the contest this week is to make a video of any magic effect, and upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo. Post a link to your video in response to THIS forum thread. Just like on Fool Us, you can perform any effect you'd like. It could even have the most impractical method of all time: it just needs to fool us. There's only two rules: no camera tricks, and no stooges.

You have 24 hours to post your video in response to this forum thread. The deadline is Sunday at 7:30pm EST. Each video will be reviewed by our judging panel, and whichever video we believe to be the most memorable and deceptive will take home the prize. What's up for grabs? A DVD of Mathieu's new effect Edge and a brick of our latest and greatest ARTISAN Playing Cards. Good luck!

UPDATE - The results have been posted! Check out the results and watch the winning submission here.

// jonathan.bayme
    ceo / theory11
  2. #2 November 24th, 2012

Default Hey

Yes, I'm very excited for this!

3. #3 November 24th, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTheillusionist View Post
    Yes, I'm very excited for this!
    Good luck! Excited to see!

// jonathan.bayme
    ceo / theory11
  4. #4 November 24th, 2012

Define camera tricks please. Sounds like a fun challenge.

5. #5 November 24th, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by KeoSilver View Post
    Define camera tricks please. Sounds like a fun challenge.
    I hate to say it... but agreed!

I love this contest however, regardless of who wins I am excited to see these entries. This should be awesome.

Also, is the goal to deceive initially, or to have a method that cannot be figured out? As in, a trick that fools you guys the first time around, but watching back through it would become obvious, vs a trick that you guys cannot figure out the method behind it at all.

A man is only as good as the light that falls upon him,
    what are we, if not the reflections of what falls upon us?
  6. #6 November 24th, 2012

hi, this is a trick i create in 2011 and i put in youtube since february 2012
    i share my trick with you for this contest (the trick was performed in spanish):

the spectator choose a few cards from a normal deck, and he punch holes on that cards with a hole puncher, then shuffle the cards and they choose one card face down.
    then you open an envelope you had in sight since the beginning, and the card in the envelpoe is exaclty the same card he choose, but the most amazing is the holes on both cards also match !!! the cards and the holes are exaclty in the same place !!!

i hope you like it !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eL91...ature=g-crec-u

7. #7 November 24th, 2012

I need to dust off a few notebooks and see if I can't cobble something together in time. =/ Damn the timing on this. I've never been really good at fooling other magicians. I usually focus on just fooling the marks.

Winner SNC 6/5/2010 "What Magic Means to You?"
    Winner SNC 8/22/2010 "Best Dramatic Work" for Theory11 Movie Night
  8. #8 November 24th, 2012

Does the video have to be new?

Youtube- Magicfreebies
  9. #9 November 24th, 2012

Here is my entry. The video is quick, but it is very visual indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTRmd...ature=youtu.be

Thanks very much!

10. #10 November 24th, 2012

I can't wait to be fooled ;-)

Mathieu Bich