Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Checkout
Account Support
Announcement

Holiday Contest 2014

Meet your favorite theory11 artist, win free playing cards, or gain instant Elite Membership!More Details

Creating FILTER (and other magic) You are now viewing the Creating FILTER (and other magic) thread.
  1. #11 October 29th, 2012

Rick do you play that jazzy piano that you put in most of your videos? I'd love to think there are more musician/magicians, you seem like the kind.

2. #12 October 29th, 2012

I do not play the piano in those vids...but I do have a couple tracks of mine that I could maybe pair with magic vids in the future.... Yeah, there are quite a few magician/musicians out there. You one of them??

Quote Originally Posted by WyattSB View Post
    Rick do you play that jazzy piano that you put in most of your videos? I'd love to think there are more musician/magicians, you seem like the kind.

3. #13 October 29th, 2012

Rick you are a big inspiration of mine. However I have trouble creating effects. I find it much easier to create flourishes. With effects I feel that things are not considered original enough to be considered your own unless it is totally different. What I mean by this is if you make a trick based off sleights that have already been published, I fear that magicians will say that it is not an original trick at all. Also I have an annoying thought in my head, and I do not perform to magicians at conventions because of it- I somehow think that every magician is 100% better than me and they will think that all my tricks are very easy even though I like things that are difficult in my opinion such as Tony Chang's sandwiches. So all my tricks are based off fairly difficult sleights because of this fear. I know it sounds weird but I would hate for magicians to be thinking I learnt a few tricks of youtube then come to conventions. Sorry this has been long and may not make much sense, but yeah/... :/

www.twitter.com/jamesp_38
    www.youtube.com/jamesaidanp
    Teenager who likes flourishing (and some magic).
  4. #14 October 29th, 2012

I am, but do not play too much recently, I just saw that lovely piano in the Filter trailer and thought it might be you playing in all those videos, they are really nice tracks.

5. #15 October 30th, 2012

Hey JP. I hear ya. Sometimes I get shy about performing for magicians...thinking they'll judge me and what I came up with. And sometimes these fears are warranted. (If you don't believe me, head to the magiccafe or learnmagictrick forums and see for yourself.) If you find it easier to create flourishes, I say, keep doing that! For now, at least. Go with what your mind and body are telling you to do. And then, maybe at a later date, they'll want you to create magic.

Quote Originally Posted by j.p View Post
    Rick you are a big inspiration of mine. However I have trouble creating effects. I find it much easier to create flourishes. With effects I feel that things are not considered original enough to be considered your own unless it is totally different. What I mean by this is if you make a trick based off sleights that have already been published, I fear that magicians will say that it is not an original trick at all. Also I have an annoying thought in my head, and I do not perform to magicians at conventions because of it- I somehow think that every magician is 100% better than me and they will think that all my tricks are very easy even though I like things that are difficult in my opinion such as Tony Chang's sandwiches. So all my tricks are based off fairly difficult sleights because of this fear. I know it sounds weird but I would hate for magicians to be thinking I learnt a few tricks of youtube then come to conventions. Sorry this has been long and may not make much sense, but yeah/... :/

6. #16 October 30th, 2012

Hey Rick,

I had just purchased Filter a couple of days ago..I have fallen in love with the routine!
    It's super fun to practice and play with in the mirror. I'm living away at college right now, and I had to smuggle
    both a glass and a coffee mug from the dining hall back to my dorm room. Unfortunately, the incessant jangling
    of coins can be heard throughout my hall..Fortunately, my roommate doesn't mind it!

Can't wait to debut this to my family and friends, who are constantly asking to see more magic.

The plastic glass that I borrowed from the dining hall isn't 'ideal', so I've found myself practicing alot more with the
    coffee mug. The third phase of the coffee mug routine is a killer..can't wait to slay some minds with this routine dude!

Thanks for this!!

7. #17 November 1st, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by William Draven View Post
    Regrettably I am not an innovator. I for some reason lack the ability to create original moves or effects. I certainly can take others published material and make it my own via alterations to handling, or patter, but never have I created something original. While I've got some routines I've worked out to some very basic card work that are my own it still isn't anything I would enter into the community as being my original work. Sorry man, I know what I'm good at and being a creator isn't one of them.
    Same.
    I never actually sat down to create something. I have ideas that come and go as I think about magic (which I do 24/7), but never actually created something original (method wise). I do create A LOT of presentational ideas, handling of existing sleights/moves/routines, presentation, misdirection, theory etc.
    I do have a project in mind, the one that includes only presentational ideas, how to handle spectators, how to perform, misdirection, etc. Just don't know who to approach about it.
    Anyways, I guess I am really good at entertaining people and deliver that magic punch, which comes from thousands of performances.
    I like comparing magic and music. In music you have song writers, who writes songs for other musicians to perform. And then you have performers who actually play the music.
    Same thing in magic, you have creators and you have performers. I fall into second category (at least for now). I met some VERY famous magicians who put out TONS of DVD's and original material, and yet when we started performing for real people, they fell flat on entertainment aspect. I even got better reactions using their own material.
    All that being said, I do wish to create something original and amazing, and I will try and do that one of these days

Magician and Hypnotist at Carnival Cruise Lines
  8. #18 November 2nd, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Same.
    I never actually sat down to create something. I have ideas that come and go as I think about magic (which I do 24/7), but never actually created something original (method wise). I do create A LOT of presentational ideas, handling of existing sleights/moves/routines, presentation, misdirection, theory etc.
    I do have a project in mind, the one that includes only presentational ideas, how to handle spectators, how to perform, misdirection, etc. Just don't know who to approach about it.
    Anyways, I guess I am really good at entertaining people and deliver that magic punch, which comes from thousands of performances.
    I like comparing magic and music. In music you have song writers, who writes songs for other musicians to perform. And then you have performers who actually play the music.
    Same thing in magic, you have creators and you have performers. I fall into second category (at least for now). I met some VERY famous magicians who put out TONS of DVD's and original material, and yet when we started performing for real people, they fell flat on entertainment aspect. I even got better reactions using their own material.
    All that being said, I do wish to create something original and amazing, and I will try and do that one of these days
    I don't think its that Black and White, some good performers create magic.

9. #19 November 2nd, 2012

That's so great to hear, bugboy! I hear what you're saying about the sound. When I was first developing this trick, I had a roommate...and she wasn't too pleased about it! Yeah, a plastic glass won't be as good because the sound wont' be as good, and audio is such a big part of this trick...but with the mug, you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Hey Rick,

I had just purchased Filter a couple of days ago..I have fallen in love with the routine!
    It's super fun to practice and play with in the mirror. I'm living away at college right now, and I had to smuggle
    both a glass and a coffee mug from the dining hall back to my dorm room. Unfortunately, the incessant jangling
    of coins can be heard throughout my hall..Fortunately, my roommate doesn't mind it!

Can't wait to debut this to my family and friends, who are constantly asking to see more magic.

The plastic glass that I borrowed from the dining hall isn't 'ideal', so I've found myself practicing alot more with the
    coffee mug. The third phase of the coffee mug routine is a killer..can't wait to slay some minds with this routine dude!

Thanks for this!!

10. #20 November 3rd, 2012

Yeah, the audio is what really gets this effect across to the spectator so well.
    When I get home on break from school, I'll play around with the glasses (actual glass,) I have in my house. They
    should be perfect for the routine.

My roommate happened to see me perform the first penetration with the coffee mug during
    a practice session..he sat dumbfounded in his chair, saying "I don't know how the f*&% you did that!!"
    The reaction was priceless..I can only imagine his reaction to the routine once I get proficient enough to show him.