Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Basket
Account Support
Announcement

TYCOON Luxury Playing Cards

Produced in collaboration with Steve Cohen at the prestigious Waldorf Astoria Hotel.More Details

How is the finish applied to the cards? You are now viewing the How is the finish applied to the cards? thread.
  1. #1 May 31st, 2012

Default How is the finish applied to the cards?

Hey Everyone,
    I've been wondering about this for years. It might be a trade secret for uspcc but I just wanted an overall idea. How is the finish applied to the playing cards? Do you think they are sheet-fed and sprayed on or some kind of other method? This has nothing to do with making my patter better or anything like that. I just want to know because playing cards are a huge hobby of mine much like everyone here. I think it would be pretty interesting to know.

Thanks!!
    Sean Whelan
    3D Artist

2. #2 May 31st, 2012

It depends on the company. I believe most finishes are applied while still on the sheet but I can't say for sure. Most are spray coats but some, such as Fournier and Piatnik are "Varnishes."

"meLt": The Evolution of the Vanishing Deck!
    "The best mentalists are at Theory 11" - No One Ever
  3. #3 June 3rd, 2012

Technically speaking, the finish of a playing card has nothing to do with the chemical coatings applied to the paper. The finish is the embossing pattern that's pressed into the paper. The chemicals applied to the paper are proprietary, but are essentially printers varnishes that have existed for years.

Jason