Your cart is empty.

Now viewing your cart.

Edit « »
Subtotal: 0.00
Checkout
Account Support
Announcement

Holiday Contest 2014

Spin to win! Meet your favorite theory11 artist, win free playing cards, or gain instant Elite Membership!More Details

"The hand is quicker than the eye" You are now viewing the "The hand is quicker than the eye" thread.
  1. #1 November 30th, 2011

Talking "The hand is quicker than the eye"

Hey guys,
    For the most part it is a myth that the hand is faster than the eye, that being said there are hundreds of moves that are. It would be fun to make a list of those moves. Just to get us started...

-Snap change
    -Shape Shifter change
    -Hanson Chein's Touch
    -The gag where you take a rubber band and "shoot" it up your nose

I think it would be interesting to see how sometimes we as magicians insist that it is a myth but there are many instances where we do effects that are "quicker than the eye".

(Please do not post about how it is impossible to do something quicker than the eye)

2. #2 November 30th, 2011

It's impossible to do something quicker than the eye.

Joking aside, I think that in a lot of cases, sleights which could be classed as 'quicker than the eye' are actually more or less 'quicker than the mind'.

3. #3 November 30th, 2011

the point of that quote is that the eyes can only be fixed at one thing at a time. And yes the hands are quicker than the eyes.
    If you see a straight left punch coming that already means your too late. There's alot more examples.

Im fine with God...Its christians I cant stand.

Murph's Law Films Youtube Channel. Watch and subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/everio17

Follow us https://twitter.com/MurphsLawFilms Twitter page
  4. #4 November 30th, 2011

Classic pass, when done right, is one of the perfect examples of hands being quicker than the eyes. Producing the card from a back palm can also fit into that category.
    Interesting thread, by the way!

- Dominik Bošnjak
  5. #5 November 30th, 2011

For moves you have the Ring Thing Move, Strike Vanish, Sylvester Pitch, and a score of color changes. For effects, the first one that comes to mind (that uses a unique "hand is quicker than the eye" move) for me is Puncture.

6. #6 November 30th, 2011

A bullet catch takes advantage of something that travels quicker than the eye. Your hands don't have to be fast enough to beat your eyes but the bullet always is too fast to track.

7. #7 December 1st, 2011

Classic pass.
    Retention Vanish.
    Those are the two I can think of right now.

-toolnard

*Please don't write that you preform magic. No one preforms magic. We perform magic.

Currently working on:
    *Erdnase Shift One Hand
    *Two Handed Shift
    *Hermann Turnover Pass
  8. #8 December 1st, 2011

The hands are quicker than your eyes. If you wave your hand in front of your face it will blur. As visualartist said, plenty of other examples...

“You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.” -Jerry Garcia

YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/BnibroC69?feature=mhee
  9. #9 December 1st, 2011

In fact, your eyes can only see 30 FPS (frame per second) in average, so basically if you can do something faster than that, you can "fool" the eyes. That being said, Snap change I guess?