Finally Making a Stage/Stand Up Show
Ok so up to this point all of the shows I have done have been mainly kids shows. I have done two stand up shows but they were for special needs adults (so they were basically variations of my kids shows). I have also done three fundraiser shows. I want to start performing some stage/stand up shows. I don't have any gigs like that at this moment so I have plenty of time to rehearse and get everything down. Right now here is a list of the effects I'm planning on working on plus a few I'd like to include in the future. I plan on incorporating a lot of comedy into my act.
Here is what I plan on doing (in no particular order)
- Dresscode (I deff want to use this as my opener)
- TnR Newspaper (after watching Penn & Teller do it,I deff want to include it into my acr)
- Miser's Dream (if I am performing for a mixed audience_
- Toilet Paper Balls over the head
- Fiber Optics
- Liquid Metal
- Comedy Rope Escape (some time during the middle of my act. this is the rope escape in Mark Wilson's complete course)
- A rope stab with a whip (a method I came up a few weeks ago)
- Cut and restored rope
- A zip tie/pipe cleaner penetration
- The Vanishing Bandanna
- Bill in Kiwi with a Bill Switch (this would be my closer. During the start of my show I would ask for a 50 or 100, and do a bill switch changing it into a 1. At the end of my show I would tell that person I have a consolation prize for them and let them select a kiwi. I would then end with their bill in the kiwi they chose)
Here are a list of effects I want to include eventually
- Cups and Balls
- CD Manipulation
- A sleeving Routine
- Balloon Swallow
- Razor Blade/Needle Swallow
- Card Manipulation
I would love any thoughts, ideas, or comments anyone have to offer
Sound really good, good luck with it! For bill in kiwi, remember to give kiwi to one of the spectators, before you change the note. This will make effect look much more impossible. Looking forward to see how you get on with the show!
When I finally get a stage gig I'll letcha know!
I see what you mean. The only thing is, that if you offer him kiwi, after you've changed the bill, they might think you somehow put their in there. If they get kiwi before you did anything to bill - it's much more impossible to them. There's no way you could make their bill to get into this kiwi. And all you do is you switch the kiwis as at the end of the show you take the kiwi back from the spectator.
I know it wouldn't quiet go with your patter idea, but it's just a thought. I think it would look more impossible.
Anyway I hope to see some video once you start rocking with your show!
I'll let you know which one I end up doing!
- Join Date
- Jun 2010
For razor blades, I suggest you get Dan Sperry's Always Remember to floss. It can be both close-up and stage, and it's awesome. Great version of it.
In terms of time, I have a 45-60 minute show that I offer, and I have 10 effects, of which I only ever have time for 7-8. You can get through 12 effects if each one was only five minutes. I would say that less is more with a show. Take your best effects and work them to create full routines. Then use your other great material to replace part of your act so that you have some variety when a client books you again. Don't worry about trying to cram it all in.
Great list of effects tho. You can do very well with that list.
- Join Date
- Sep 2007
- Dallas, TX
Crazy I was just about to post a thread like this!
I've been wanting to start a sort of parlor/platform show. Mostly for myself just to see if I could do it. I have plenty of material, I just needed help on how to go about blending different elements to make them work.I'm Luis.
If a mortal stands before us, strike him down with sleight of hand